The introduction resources listed here, include overviews of Epic developer resources and Epic Online Services (EOS), introduction blogs, FAQs, and some information on the EOS game engine plugins for Unreal Engine and Unity.
Documentation: Epic developer resources Overview.
A high-level introduction to Epic Games Store, Epic Online Services (EOS), Kids Web Services (KWS), and their associated tools.
Documentation: Epic Online Services (EOS) Overview.
A high-level introduction to EOS which provides free, cross-platform services for multiplayer games. EOS is quick to install into your game, includes operation tools, and allows scaling.
See the Online Services website (dev.epicgames.com/services) for some helpful EOS FAQs.
Game Engine Plugins
EOS SDK is game engine-agnostic. You can use EOS SDK with whichever game engine you prefer. If you develop your game in either Unreal Engine or Unity, you can use plugins to help with the EOS SDK configuration. For more information on how to use the EOS SDK in each game engine, see the EOS SDK and Game Engines documentation.
Video Overview of EOS
Watch the video below to get an overview of Epic Online Services (EOS), including how to add these features to your game:
- Cross-platform authentication
- Voice chat
See the video on youtube.com: Power Your Games with Free Epic Online Services | Unreal Fest 2022.
Video: Power Your Games with Free Epic Online Services | Unreal Fest 2022
If you are working in Unity or C#, the introduction blogs on the Online Services website offer guidance on getting started: dev.epicgames.com/news/~.
They cover the following topics:
- How to set up Epic Online Services (EOS)
- Setting up a C# solution for EOS in Visual Studio 2019
- Player authentication with Epic Account Services
- Getting and setting player presence
- Querying for Epic friends and their status
- Accessing EOS Game Services with the Connect Interface
- Retrieve game-specific data from the cloud
- Storing and retrieving player-specific data
- Manage player statistics with Epic Online Services
- Rank player scores using leaderboards
- Adding achievements to your game